Join us for the “Oscars of the Ocean,” the Peter Benchley Ocean Awards presented by Blue Frontier at the California Academy of Sciences.
Friday, May 30, 2014
California Academy of Sciences
55 Music Concourse Drive
We will celebrate outstanding achievements that protect the oceans and communities that depend on them. This year’s award recipients will include Captain Charles Moore as Hero of the Seas and former Secretary of State Leon Panetta for Excellence in Policy. In the blue house will be the renowned Dr. Sylvia Earle, Academy Award winning director Louie Psihoyos (“The Cove”), the director of the film “Blackfish” Gabriela Cowperthwaite, eco race car driver Leilani Munter, the directors of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and Stanford's Hopkins Marine Station and many more leaders.
Especially heart-warming is 16-year-old Casey Sokolovic who will receive the youth award for founding Love A Sea Turtle.
Sponsors: Google, Wendy Benchley, Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation, The Campbell Foundation, The Henry Foundation and others
This night will be a special treat for me because the ocean was my first love. I was especially enamored with shells, clown fish, and Moray eels as a little girl and wanted to become a marine biologist. Somehow I ended up in business but am slowly making my way back.
The 7th annual Benchley Ocean Awards will be followed by the first ever Bay to Sea Seminar on Saturday May 31 at the Aquarium of the Bay.
Ways to Help the Ocean
- Make sure any plastic you use is recycled. Pick up trash to prevent it from going down the storm drain and into the ocean
- Eat only sustainable seafood. Seafood Watch has a great app for your phone! You type in the name of the fish, and it comes back green, yellow or red with an explanation
- Avoid blue fin tuna (toro) at sushi restaurants, as there is no such thing as “sustainable blue fin tuna”
- Use renewable energy and drive an electric or plug-in car to help stop ocean acidification
- Consume plant-based omegas such as Flora Udo’s Choice 3-6-9 Oil
The ocean covers 70% of the Earth's surface and contains 97% of the Earth’s water. Let’s work together to save this life support system of our planet. Hope to see you at the event!