Among the eco-pleasing features are:
- Wood is sustainable (FSC-certified)
- Gorgeous eco carpets with leaf motives from Bentley Prince Street
- Chic upholstery made from recycled fabrics from Luna Textiles
- Green natural citrus-based cleaning products (no toxic bleach)
- Fabulous recycling units in the rooms
- Water faucets and toilets conserve water
- Compact fluorescents (CFLs) and LED lights in effect
- Strong concrete with CO2-reducing fly ash (a byproduct of coal generation)
- Guest keycard system that centrally controls lighting & power systems in the room, resulting in 20% energy savings
- The restaurant Roots features delicious organic, sustainable cuisine by veteran eco-chef Russell Rummer and menus printed on recycled paper
- Organic bath products
The Orchard Garden Hotel was built green from the ground up at
During the hotel construction, debris was diverted away from
landfill and recycled. This is huge.
The newer staff seemed a little bit foggy about the green details with statements like “the wood is
recycled" when the brochures say FSC. There also really isn’t a "garden" per se yet, but no matter.
The entire hotel feels like an upscale natural Zen oasis. It will
always be spring inside the Orchard Garden. And don't miss the stunning bronze leaf sculptures by Archie Held.
The Orchard Garden Hotel is boutique eco-luxury at its
best, but don’t worry. It also has all
of the usual goodies like WiFi, flat screen TVs and a gym. I wonder if I can
move in permanently. www.theorchardgardenhotel.com